Monday, January 12, 2009

Crazy - FunkyFolky

Jack Nicholson's character in 'As Good As It Gets' says something like, "I don't do crazy here. Go sell crazy someplace else..." or words to that effect. Sad, but explained why he was so miserable, not embracing the fun of it. Now Seal, one of my all time favorites, really gets it. Remember "And we're never gonna survive, unless we get a little crazy". He knew what he was talking about. We need it, to let go, be stupid, act like a kid, forget where we are, and do some crazy.

My featured artists - mother and daughter - get it, too. (They must be a fun pair at parties.) The following is their own description:

FunkyFolky is an offshoot of The Ragtree Company, founded by a mother and daughter team of super creative (sometimes super crazy!) entrepreneurs with a passion for clay. Each item is created by either Ragtree artist Darlene, who leans toward folky, or Renee, who leans toward funky; hence, FunkyFolky!

Their sculptured figures are about as weird and wonderful as you can get. Just uploading them had me laughing. I didn't put them all on here, because these artists are so prolific, and I would have run out of space. As an aside, some of Renee's work is eccentric, to say the least, if not downright bizarre.







Well, I love it, and I've probably chosen more Funky than Folky, so my apologies to Darlene if I have. We all need some of this in our lives, I think. Have a good giggle and then go check out their Etsy store. The link's in Great Sites to Visit in the sidebar. You want that perfect conversation piece for your coffee table? You couldn't do much better than this.

4 comments:

Benedetta said...

Hi Fran! I love all your reviews and I nominated you for a blog award, hope you can come by my blog to pick it up. Hugs!
~Benedetta

ReneeBuchananArt said...

Fran, I am SO honored to be featured on your wonderful blog!

As far as parties go, I refuse to go out with Mom because the last time, she made the band get off the stage and clear the floor of tables and chairs so she'd have a place to dance (and dance poorly!)

I'm a huge fan and again, I'm MORE than flattered!

Renee :)

Fran Caldwell said...

Thanks for the Award, Benedetta. It's so kind of you to think of me.

Fran Caldwell said...

Renee,

Amd here I thought it was YOU who did the Funky art.

Does she dance like Elaine in Seinfeld? Just trying to picture her...